The GJLS CONSTITUTION is available by clicking the following link (and is also set forth below): GJLS Constitution (REV 8-2016)
The GJLS REGULATIONS are available by clicking the following link: GJLS Regs REV 3-2017
GAHANNA JUNIOR LEAGUE SPORTS, INC.
ARTICLE I NAME AND OBJECTIVES
Section 1 Name
The name of this organization shall be “Gahanna Junior League Sports, Inc.”
Section 2 Non-Profit Corporation
- Gahanna Junior League Sports, Inc. (“GJLS” or the “League”) shall be a non-profit, voluntary corporation and its Board of Directors shall register GJLS with the Ohio Secretary of State.
- No part of the net earnings of the Corporation shall inure to the benefit of any private member or individual. No Director, Officer, or other Member of GJLS shall receive any remuneration for services rendered in that capacity on behalf of the League.
- The Corporation shall not, as any substantial part of its activities, carry on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation. The Corporation shall not participate in political campaigns on behalf of a candidate for public office.
Section 3 Objectives of the League
- To give every eligible boy and girl the opportunity to play sports in a league with players of comparable ability.
- To implement reasonable and appropriate safeguards that promote a fair, safe, and reliable youth sports experience and create a League environment that instills public confidence in the execution, administration, and integrity of GJLS.
- To protect and promote the mutual interest of the teams and players in the GJLS leagues and activities.
- To provide and promote the moral, mental, and physical values inherent in youth sports for every eligible boy and girl for the betterment and growth of the community at large.
- To promote fundamental instruction and training in GJLS-sponsored sports.
Section 4 Regulations
The League shall adopt such Regulations as it deems necessary to ensure that the objectives set forth above are accomplished. These Regulations shall be subordinate to this Constitution. All GJLS leagues’ shall be governed by the rules of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, a copy of which may be obtained from the OHSAA, 4080 Roselea Place, Columbus, Ohio (614) 267-1677, unless specifically modified herein or by duly adopted League Rules or Regulations.
Section 5 Fundraisers
Only travel teams may conduct fundraisers. Travel teams who conduct fundraisers must do so under the following guidelines: (a) the travel team must record any money raised and spent; (b) all money raised must be used for the direct operating expenses of that team; and (c) all financial records for the previous year will be turned over to the GJLS Treasurer by February 1. Recreation and tournament teams may not conduct fundraisers.
ARTICLE 2 MEMBERS
Section 1 Non-Voting Members
Any parent, guardian, or sponsor who pays the registration fee in order to enable a child to play sports under the auspices of GJLS is a non-voting Member of GJLS.
Section 2 Voting Members
- A person who is approved by the Screening Committee to be the head coach of a team and who is confirmed by a vote of the other voting members to be the head coach of a team, and any person approved to serve as Commissioner of a GJLS league, , shall be a voting member of GJLS for the year in which such coach or commissioner position is approved.
- A person who is on the Board of Directors shall be a voting member of GJLS; provided, however, that the President will vote only in the case of a tie (see ARTICLE 3, Section 3B).
- All current Committee Chairpersons shall be voting members of GJLS.
- Voting rights apply to all coaches in the current GJLS season plus the most recent past season; if no season is currently being played at the time of any vote, then voting rights apply the coaches approved for the 2 most recent GJLS seasons (Spring and Fall). Voting members may resign at any time by notifying the GJLS Secretary in writing.
Section 3 Sports Council
- The Sports Council shall be comprised of all voting members of GJLS, to wit: (i) all the current approved head coaches from each league; (ii) all current members of the Board of Directors; (iii) all current approved league commissioners; and (iv) all current committee chairpersons.
- In the event that a head coach is unable to attend any meeting where his or her vote may be recorded, he or she may designate a non-voting member of GJLS as his or her “Representative” to vote in the head coach’s absence. Such Representative should be identified by written notification from the head coach delivered to the Secretary in writing prior to the vote at issue.
- The head coaches and commissioners of each league may propose changes to playing rules for any league to the Rules Committee. All league playing rules shall be subordinate to the GJLS Constitution and Regulations. Any changes to the rules recommended by the Rules Committee must be approved by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE 3 OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
Section 1 Election
- In June of each year, the President shall, by email and any other method deemed by the Board to be necessary and appropriate, invite any member of the Sports Council to nominate individuals for officer positions. The President’s message shall inform the members of the Sports Council of the following schedule, and shall specifically invite all Sports Council members to attend the Board meetings to discuss and elect the next season’s officers.
- At the July Board meeting, all nominees will be identified and discussed. A proposed slate of candidates for each of the Board positions shall be prepared, and the Board will seek to confirm that the individuals nominated are willing and able to assume their designated positions if elected.
- At the August Board meeting, a vote will be held for each Board position. Only Sports Council members present at the meeting shall be entitled to vote. The individuals who receive the most vote for each of the respective positions will be certified as officers; provided, however, that in the event that no one person receives a majority of the votes cast, a second vote will be held between the two individuals receiving the most votes in the initial election, and the individual receiving more votes in that second voting process will be declared elected to that office.
- At the August meeting, the Sports Council will elect up to fifteen (15) officers: A President-designate, an Executive Vice-President-designate, a Secretary-designate, a Treasurer-designate, and up to eleven (11) Vice-President-designates,. These officer-designates terms shall commence on September 1, and such officers shall hold their respective offices for a period of one (1) year, or until their successors are duly elected, or until they resign.
- In the event an officer resigns or is removed, or a vacant position needs to be filled, the President shall appoint someone to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term, subject to confirmation by majority vote of the remainder of the Board of Directors. Should the President’s office be vacated, the order of succession will be: Executive Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. In the event an order of succession must be established beyond the Secretary, the remaining members of the Board shall select an order among the current Vice-Presidents.
- The November meeting shall be the “Annual Meeting” that this organization is required to designate under Ohio Laws governing tax-exempt organizations.
Section 2 Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall be elected by the Sports Council as set forth in Section 1, above.
- The Board of Directors of the League shall consist of the President, Executive Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and eleven (11) Vice-Presidents (described below).
- The Board of Directors shall be responsible for all matters not covered by the Constitution and Regulations, and all financial matters. Its decision on such matters will be final.
- The Board of Directors shall constitute the League’s highest authority on all questions of policy that come before it.
Section 3 President
- The President shall preside at all League meetings and discharge other duties as required for the day-to-day operation of the League.
- The President shall cast the deciding vote on all deadlocks. In case the President cannot reach a decision, the matter should be tabled and be the first order of business at the next meeting.
- The President shall submit any game protest to a panel of at least three (3) members of the Rules Committee not connected with the dispute, which panel shall rule upon said protest. If the Rules Committee panel upholds the protest, it may order a game forfeited to either team, or order it replayed in its entirety or from the point of the protest. If circumstances require an immediate ruling, and three members of the Rules Committee cannot be contacted, the President is authorized to act unilaterally, but only in cases of absolute need.
- The President has the right to table any issue or discussion for further review.
- The President shall appoint all committees and committee chairs.
- The President shall have on file copies of each leagues’ rules for the current year by the April meeting of the Board.
- The President may nominate any person to fill any vacancy on the Board. Such nominations must be approved by a majority of the current Board of Directors.
Section 4 Executive Vice-President
It shall be the responsibility of the Executive Vice-President to work closely with the President to assist him or her in running the day-to-day operation of the League. The Executive Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President if the President resigns, is removed from office, or is unavailable or incapacitated.
Section 5 Treasurer
- The Treasurer shall collect all money and deposit same in the League’s account in the bank.
- The Treasurer shall pay out money only as provided in the Constitution of the League, or as directed by the President after appropriate Board action.
- The Treasurer shall render a report of the business pertaining to his office at the annual meeting of the League and shall provide a Financial Report at each regular meeting of the Board.
- The Treasurer shall file all tax forms required by any governmental entities.
Section 6 Secretary
- The Secretary shall keep a true and accurate record of all proceedings of regular and special meetings of both the Sports Council and the Board of Directors. Such record must be approved at the next regular meeting of the Board.
- The Secretary shall file a Certificate of Continued Existence with the Ohio Secretary of State every five (5) years or at whatever interval is required by law.
- The Secretary shall notify the Ohio Secretary of State of any change of Statutory Agent.
Section 7 Vice-Presidents
Each of the Vice-Presidents will be responsible for specific areas of the League’s operation as assigned by the President, as follows:
- Concessions. There shall be at least one, and not more than two, Vice President(s) of Concessions, who will be responsible for the ordering, stocking, and inventory of all food products that shall be sold, and any food machines located, at the concession stands at the various facilities used by the League. The Vice President(s) of Concessions may also assign individuals to be responsible for each concession stand who will stock, inventory, and make the coaches and/or families in appropriate leagues aware of their concession duties. The Board, at its June meeting, shall determine if there should be one or two Vice President(s) of Concessions for the upcoming year.
- Player Placement. The Vice President of Player Placement will be responsible for the coordination of registration for the League for all seasons.
- Equipment. There shall be at least one, and not more than two, Vice President(s) of Equipment. The Vice President(s) of Equipment will be responsible for the ordering and stocking of uniforms and equipment for all the teams of the League. The Vice President(s) of Equipment are also responsible for the distribution and collection of equipment for individual leagues. The Vice President(s) of Equipment may also be responsible for the sale of additional uniforms or other surplus items to the public throughout the league seasons. The Board, at its June meeting, shall determine if there should be one or two Vice President(s) of Equipment for the upcoming year.
- Grounds and Facilities. There shall be at least one, and not more than two, Vice President(s) of Grounds and Facilities. The Vice President(s) of Grounds and Facilities will be responsible for coordinating the maintenance and upkeep of fields and facilities used by the League. The Board, at its June meeting, shall determine if there should be one or two Vice President(s) of Grounds and Facilities for the upcoming year.
- Recreation Softball. The Vice President of Recreation Softball will be responsible for the coordination of and communication among all softball teams for the League.
- Travel Softball. The Vice President of Travel Softball will be responsible for the coordination of and communication among all softball travel teams for the League.
- Travel Baseball. The Vice President of Travel Baseball will be responsible for the coordination of and communication among all baseball travel teams for the League.
- Fall Baseball. The Vice President of Fall Baseball will be responsible for the coordination of registration for the League for the upcoming fall season.
- Communications (effective September 1, 2014). The Vice President of Communications is responsible for managing and coordinating all public communications of GJLS, including without limitation maintenance of the league website, social media accounts, newsletters, advertising, and public notices.
- Screening. The Vice President of screening is responsible for the coordination of applications of prospective coaches for the upcoming season. Different individuals may be appointed as vice president of screening for each of the spring and fall seasons. The Vice President of Screening will be the Chair of the Screening Committee.
- Tournaments. The Vice President of Tournaments will be responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of tournaments that shall be approved from time to time by the Board. The Vice President of Tournaments shall also be responsible for the ordering of trophies both for rec leagues and for assigned tournaments. The Vice President of Tournaments may, if approved by the Board, assemble and sell trophies outside of league-issued championship trophies.
Section 8 Director of Umpires
The President may appoint one or more Director(s) of Umpires, who shall be responsible for recruiting and training all umpires. The Director(s) shall also recommend to the President an umpire assigner and protocol for each sports league that requires umpires.
Section 9 League Commissioners
The President shall appoint one (1) commissioner for each league or may appoint two (2) commissioners in leagues of sixteen (16) or more teams or otherwise where deemed appropriate. If two (2) commissioners are appointed, the President will decide disagreements or may designate a neutral third party at his or her discretion.
Section 10 Rules Committee
There shall be a Rules Committee of at least five (5) members appointed by the President. They shall be responsible to the Board of Directors for studies and recommendations on all rules and for additions and deletions to the Regulations and amendments to the Constitution. Requests for changes shall be submitted to the Rules Committee in writing. All matters pertaining to the Constitution and Regulations shall originate in the Rules Committee.
Section 11 Screening Committee
- There shall be a Screening Committee of up to five (5) members appointed by the President.
- This committee shall be responsible for reviewing all applicants for Head and Assistant Coach positions received by the League. Qualifications will be based on: (1) sportsmanship, (2) overall knowledge of the game, and (3) service to the league. In the event a coach is unable to fulfill these duties, the Screening Committee may appoint a replacement.
- The Screening Committee is responsible for obtaining a completed application form from all prospective coaches and assistant coaches.
- All applications for prospective coaches and assistant coaches shall include personal information, including, but not limited to, driver’s license number and personal references. All applications shall also include consent for GJLS to conduct a criminal background check.
- The Screening Committee shall recommend to the Sports Council those persons they feel will best fulfill these responsibilities for the Sports Council’s approval.
- The Screening Committee is also responsible for reviewing the performance of each coach after each season. The committee may recommend that a coach who does not fulfill his responsibilities lose his team and his voting membership, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
- A coach’s term and voting privileges expire on December 31 of each year or earlier if the manager resigns or is removed, unless, by December 1, a new application is submitted to the Screening Committee for the upcoming season.
Section 12 Middle School Baseball Committee
There shall be a Middle School Baseball Committee of not more than three (3) people appointed by the President. This Committee shall be responsible for coordination of and communication among all middle school teams. This includes making arrangements for coaches, player selection, scheduling, and assisting the coaches with their team responsibilities, including the scheduling of umpires. In the event there are multiple candidates for any Middle School head coaching position, and no agreement can be worked out informally among those interested, the Chair shall make a recommendation to the Screening Committee, who in turn shall review the candidates and present the issue to the Board for final resolution.
Section 13 Other Committees
The President may from time to time form other or additional committees, the size and duration of which may be determined by the President, as he or she deems necessary and appropriate.
Section 14 Statutory Agent
There shall be a Statutory Agent for GJLS, whose specific duty it shall be to accept all legal documents and notices affecting the organization. The league Treasurer shall serve as the Statutory Agent unless an alternate designation is made by the Board; provided, however, that the Statutory Agent shall be a Board officer.
Section 15 Removal
- Any voting member may propose a motion to remove an officer. If such motion is passed by a majority of the Sports Council, the Board of Directors, less the officer whose removal is proposed, must investigate this motion and render a full report at the next meeting of the Board. At that time, the motion must be voted on by the Sports Council with a two-thirds (2/3) majority present necessary for its acceptance.
- A League Commissioner can be removed by the President, if confirmed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
- Any Board officer that has four (4) consecutive absences from the monthly meeting of the Board may be subjected to dismissal from that office. Prior to any such dismissal, the officer shall be entitled to receive written notification from the Board President of intent to dismiss and be given an opportunity to respond. Any such dismissal must be approved by a 2/3 vote of the Board.
ARTICLE 4 GOVERNMENT AND FINANCES
Section 1 Meetings
- A meeting of the Board of Directors shall be scheduled no less than once per month on a schedule that is as regular as circumstances will allow.
- The President may schedule additional meetings as he or she deems necessary and appropriate.
- All members of the Sports Council are invited and encouraged to attend the Board meetings and to participate in conversation regarding league issues. The President may, however, call an Executive Session to discuss any matters that the President, in the exercise of his or her discretion, believes should be held in private. Executive Session should be used sparingly, as the League should strive toward maximum transparency in conducting its business.
- The date, time, and location of Board meetings shall be published on the league website and advertised in any other media regularly maintained by the League.
Section 2 Budget and Expenses
- The Treasurer shall submit a budget to the Board of Directors for its approval at the December meeting each year. This budget must be approved by a two-thirds (2/3) majority present of the Board, either at this meeting or the January meeting.
- The President, Executive Vice-President, and the Treasurer shall not authorize any expenditures in excess of the amount budgeted for a particular budget category without formal approval of a majority of the full Board.
- All expenses incurred by the League shall be covered by check or cash receipt. Checks shall be signed by two officers, at least one of which must be the President, Executive Vice-President, or Treasurer.
- The fiscal year used by GJLS shall be January 1 through December 31, inclusive.
Section 3 Excess Funds
If, at the conclusion of the fiscal year, the League has excess funds, after meeting all its financial obligations for that fiscal year, such excess shall be handled as follows:
- Fifty percent (50%) of such excess funds may be spent only with the approval of the Sports Council. It shall require the signatures of two (2) officers to release these funds, one of which must be either the President or the Executive Vice-President.
- The remaining fifty percent (50%) may be spent for capital improvements approved by the Board of Directors, or left in the League’s account in the bank, or invested, or any combination of these approved by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE 5 QUORUM, VOTING, AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Section 1 Quorum
- No decision may be reached by any committee, Sports Council, or Board of Directors unless a quorum of that body is present.
- If a quorum of the Sports Council is not present, the issue shall either be tabled by the President or revert back to the Board of Directors.
- One-sixth of the Sports Council shall constitute a quorum.
- Two-thirds of a committee or the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
- The quorum shall be computed from the number of positions currently filled within each body.
Section 2 Voting
- The vote of any member not represented shall be considered to be in agreement with the majority of those present.
- A simple majority of those present is required for any proposal to be passed, unless otherwise provided in the Constitution or Regulations.
Section 3 Freedom of Speech
All managers, coaches, umpires, officers, parents or guardians of registered players, and officials of GJLS have the freedom of speech at any League meeting or otherwise.
ARTICLE 6 AMENDMENTS
Section 1 Proposals
Any proposals to amend this Constitution shall be submitted in writing to the Rules Committee (Article 3, Section 10). The Rules Committee will review all requests and present its findings at the next scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors.
Section 2 Ratification
A 2/3 vote of the Board of Directors is required to amend this Constitution. All amendments shall become effective immediately unless a separate provision for a different effective date is incorporated into the proposal.